The Women's Board traditionally sustains approximately 50 "Active" members as well as highly valued Honorary, Associate and Sustaining members. Together, we host upwards of 10 successful fundraising events each year, ranging from the annual Gala to our three-day June Fete Village Fair and Horse & Pony Show. Working closely with the Women's Board are our 10 Auxiliaries comprised of women of all ages, backgrounds and interests. Our Auxilians total in excess of 500 members. This past year, the Auxiliaries provided over $50,000 in scholarships to students at the Dixon School of Nursing. Our Auxiliaries recognize the hope and future in our nursing students and continue to nurture those who will one day be caring for our community.
The Women's Board, as we know it, was formed in 1913, one year prior to the construction of the hospital. Our first fundraising event generated the seed money to purchase linens and necessary equipment for the new hospital, which opened its doors in 1914. Since that time, our mission has not wavered. We continue to provide funds for specialized equipment, education, "bricks and mortar" and hospital programs.
We have surely come a long way, from our first purchase of bed linens in 1914 to pledging $5,000,000 to the "Building on the Best" campaign several years ago. Over the past 10 years, the Women's Board has raised almost $8,000,000 to benefit the hospital and its affiliates.
The mission of the Women’s Board is to assist Abington Health (AH) and its affiliates, including Abington Memorial Hospital (AMH) and Lansdale Hospital (LH), to meet the healthcare needs of the community by raising funds, furthering public relations and providing funding for educational opportunities. The Women’s Board serves subject to and at the discretion of the Abington Health Foundation and raises funds for the benefit of AH and its affiliates.
On November 20, 2013, the Greater Philadelphia Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals proudly honored The Women's Board of Abington Health Foundation as the 2013 Outstanding Volunteer Fundraising Group of the Year for their century-long history of outstanding leadership in coordinating numerous community volunteers to help raise major charitable support.